Monday, May 6, 2013

Mackenzie River Husky

The Mackenzie River Husky was named after a river in Alaska. According to research, it describes several overlapping local populations of arctic and subarctic type dogs, none of which contributes a breed (via Wikipedia). You may find one small book in the library if your lucky, although perhaps not in small towns or in southern regions.

River Huskies are rarer than the Canadian Eskimo Dog, and it contains less information in regards to these dogs. This is unfortunate because they too are an incredible breed, worthy of being mainstream such as the popular husky and malamute. So far, this small piece of information was able to be found from Wikipedia:

"Historically, the term has been variously applied to different dog populations in the Arctic and subarctic regions of Alaska and Canada. Dogs from Old Crow, Fort McPherson, Arctic Red River, Porcupine River, Hay River and Mackenzie River regions, although distinguished by locals, were collectively termed “Mackenzie River” dogs by outsiders; crosses of these local freighting huskies with large European breeds such as St. Bernards, Newfoundlands, or Staghounds were sometimes called “Mackenzie River Hounds,” giving rise to great confusion surrounding the name. Some reference sources describe the Mackenzie River Husky as a dog, used by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, consisting of a mix of Inuit (Eskimo) dog, large European breeds, and wolf ancestry"

There is very little tidings about their history, temperament etc. compared to the information you can find on the Siberian Husky. However it is said Mackenzie River Huskies are independent as the well known husky, malamute and Samoyed, and completely trustworthy with children, intelligent, dominant and eager to work. All of these traits as I stated before reflect upon the renown arctic breeds such as the husky. Like the Malamute, River Huskies are said to be freight dogs and is ideal for a musher to own. They just need a lot more recognition and with my new book, I plan to give them that recognition they deserve.

It can be difficult to find a breeder, but you may locate one in certain locations in the Alaskan region. They come in the average arctic breed colors, white, black, red, sable, grey and wolf-sable; very beautiful and amazing dogs that need to become popular like the renown husky. It may take years or a lot sooner, but search for a Mackenzie River Husky breeder and purchase these incredible dogs. Help promote the breed!







16 comments:

  1. Nice to read about this post.well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they looks like wolf??? I luv their furs and colors. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but many people do not even know about these dogs. They so have beautiful colors. Your welcome, it's all to promote them.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I couldn’t find an email address. I wanted to ask a question, so can you possibly email me back?
    –Shaye
    shayewalsh1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Please please contact me ASAP I have been looking everywhere for more info on this breed!!! I am highly interested in incorporating these dogs into my kennel!! I run dogs in the winter and am very interested in this breed of husky!!!!! Cbjacobcb@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. 50 years ago as a child my dad was a trapper and also worked for the fish and game in Kenai Alaska. He came home one day with a Mackenzie River Husky which we named Bishop. We loved him so much, he was the most special friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanted to say, Bishop looked a lot like your photo, #3.

      Delete
    2. Oh, must've been a very beautiful dog.

      Delete
  6. Photo #4 looks exactly like our dog "Tricket", whom our family adopted after we moved to Alaska in '83 (we later moved to back Colorado with Tricket in '85). Tricket's paws were HUGE and he could easily be mistaken for a wolf. He was once part of a dog-sled team that ran a trap-line there and when he decided that he no longer wanted to pull the dog sled, he was given a .22 bullet to the neck, which went clean through, missing any vitals. When the owner attempted to fire a 2nd bullet, his rifle jammed. Indeed, this was Tricket's lucky day. When the team returned from running the trap-line, the owner asked my brother if he wanted a dog. We were all happy to bring Tricket into our family.

    To me, one of the most amazing things about this dog, was how wonderful he was to everyone around him, especially to the children. Despite of being raised in a somewhat hostile, dog-eat-dog environment, Tricket had zero aggressive behavior and seemed to have only love for everyone. My brother raised 3 children with Tricket as their dog and despite their tugging, riding and hugging on him, he never once did growl, bark or bite. For that matter, he never showed aggression to anyone else either.

    When he passed years ago, in the mountain town of Empire, CO, most of the townspeople showed for his funeral. It seems that he was known and loved by everyone in the town, were he often roamed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was very fortunate to have lived and traveled with a Mackenzie that I purchased from Paul Toth in Delta Junction, Alaska. He was a gentle and loving giant, son of King Erik the Red who weighed over 200#. Sadly, since I was in the military at the time and moved to Louisiana he was stolen by some lowlife and never recovered. I have always wanted another but now living in Ireland I have opted for a beautiful Malamute and am looking forward to hearing him sing like a Mackenzie. The Mackenzie was a joy to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Warmest regards from Dunbar, Alaska. I Hate to correct you, but as a well traveled Alaskan I must inform you that the Mackenzie River is in The Northwest Territories of Canada, a little more than a province east of the Alaskan border. I am looking for another Mackenzie River husky. My last one was a wolf hybrid and upon her death, so also passed the last legal hybrid wolf I know of all though there may be a few really old ones around. She was a huge dog, very sweet and gentle with the kids and loved to pull. People would stop on the road and take pictures of our "wolf" and indeed when the wolves in the valley below howled, she would sing her heart out. Many times, her song was so mournful that I wanted to let her loose to join the pack, but I knew they would kill her immediately. She would get off her chain once in a while and come back with a rabbit or a ptarmigan. When it snowed, I would go out on the deck in the morning and call her. She would pop up out of the snow from a deep sleep having been completely covered over during the night. She loved the cold and wouldn't stay in the house more than a few minutes. At fifty below, she grew long hair between her toes in just a few days to protect her feet. She pulled the ahkio on the trapline by herself with 200 pounds of supplies on it and loved every second. In the morning, when I held up her harness for her to see, she would jump three feet up in the air and spin around, dancing and prancing in excitement. She was very smart. One night, she stuck her nose in the tent and pulled on my toes with her mouth. I looked up. She let go of my foot and looked down the trail, then looked back at me. I could tell by the look in her eyes something was wrong. I turned on my flashlight and got the rifle. When I stepped out of the tent, a brown bear was just sliding to a stop a hundred yards away. She heard that bear a long ways off and woke me up just in time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does anyone have names of the MacKenzie Husky breeders who are still actively breeding?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Just Watched Botched (Plastic Surgery Show)

I know I said the next post would be about my music interests, but something that I watched greatly interested me even more. I will discuss...