Friday, December 9, 2016

Hard Being Biracial or Mixed

I wanted to further discuss the truth about being mixed with personal experience. The reason to this specific topic is the past and growing issues biracial or mixed humans like myself go through. Also I don't find much dedicated for the problems mixed people face in their lives. This is especially when I don't find much for my quite unique mix and adoptive background.

I read all the time about non-Whites being adopted by White families. It has interested me about their experiences, but no one ever mentions people like my mother, sister and myself being adopted by a Black family. Although I shared some of my experience, I wanted to discuss this again due to recent growing racial tensions and it's not talked about much.

From the past few months, I have been extensively studying about my real family's true heritage. I started a board on Pinterest to learn more about my family's background. The people I pinned are related to my family: https://www.pinterest.com/tikaanimoon/ethnic-mixed-heritage/

We have natural proper etiquette habits, but imagine being adopted by a family the opposite of manners. Most importantly, it can be hard to connect or to fit into a particular cultural society. My family have not learned to blend in. I personally can be easily embarrassed by certain behavior. Most of the family happens to have a dislike of Whites and Arabs. Being mixed can be complicated. There is one side of my DNA the family likes, but then the other parts they are racist against. For example, the family loves Asians, but they dislike Arabs. The adoptive family especially alienates me due to my pale skin. I am often called offensive names, which indicates the family dislikes light skinned people.

Obviously I am biracial and multicultural. It can be difficult dealing with people who are strongly against mixing races. This is even when I am not White. However saying this is hard as well when you are someone like me, who is often mistaken for White. I never knew why until looking at my mother's real family pictures. Because of the annoying issue, I have been lectured by Whites and others how they feel it's betraying your race for being mixed.

As you can imagine, it's hard connecting with your races when your physical appearance doesn't match. I find the hardest race to connect with is my Asian culture. Often Asians don't accept you if you are not 100% Asian or you do not look Asian. I'm introverted, which spares me of most criticism. However, I can't avoid all criticism. These negative comments and jokes about mixed people is offensive and not funny. It can be difficult living as a mixed person for the following reasons:


  1. Everyone treating you like your not a human or you are less of a human. 
  2. When people asks your ethnicity all the time, and especially when they don't believe you when you tell them.
  3. Guessing your race and almost always guessing it wrong. 
  4. Feeling as though you can't fit in with any of your ethnic backgrounds. 
  5. Having an accent but unable to speak a different language. 
  6. People who are against race mixing. 
It can be strange, but I notice my family has accents. I wonder if others have unexplained accents without knowing another language. This was way before my family began studying languages. The accents change from Arabic type accent, Turkish, Russian, Indian and at times German. 

There are a lot of things us mixed people go through. This is just a bit more insight of how difficult it can be being adopted and plus being mixed. I just feel we should not be treated like only half a human. We deserve the same respect as pure people; it isn't like we chose to be mixed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Just Watched Botched (Plastic Surgery Show)

I know I said the next post would be about my music interests, but something that I watched greatly interested me even more. I will discuss...