Sunday, February 26, 2017

Comparing the Drumgole DNA (Strange Similarity)

I have been learning about DNA and more genealogy. What I learned is how similar the Drumgole family's DNA is to my own DNA. Now, this is the family who adopted my mother, and who doesn't have any ties to my family. Due to this similarity, I saw how Ancestry and 23andMe combined our DNA with the Drumgole family's. In a way, I don't understand this because even if we thought the Drumgoles were our real family, the DNA wouldn't have matched. Ancestry at first briefly gave my family different results, but when knowing what race we have identified with and we claimed the Drumgoles were our family, they changed the results to match their ancestry. Anyway, I found documents and articles which further shares the DNA and ancestry of the Drumgole family. I will share this and then compare it with my family's DNA. There are similarities, but slight differences that can be obvious we are not related.

I remembered my step-grandma telling me her mother's father was a full-blooded Native American. I am guessing of the Cherokee tribe. Recently, I found a document when my step-grandma's mother was four years old. Both the mother and father were labeled as negro, the term in the past. This was when I honestly doubted what my step-grandma told me. That was until I came across this "Black-Dutch" a term used for people with darker skin complexions than usual Europeans. I read how many Native Americans considered themselves as this, and even Portuguese. This is where the confusion of my own DNA can occur. Then there is a Portuguese Indian term, which is only Native Americans. However, there is also that term referring to Indians from India or any other Indian country in Portugal. The issue in the United States is that most confuse the term Indian for Native American. I learned my family are actually half Indian-Pakistani mix. My mother's father has both Pakistani and Indian background.

I have found some Portuguese and Spanish percentages in my DNA, and also the Drumgole's DNA. Although there are some Spanish traits, I found the ancestry traces back to the African slaves and Native Americans in Spain for the Drumgole family. My DNA is traced from the Arab Muslim influence of Spain and Portuguese. Since the tribe my family descends from was mentioned, I read an article about the Arab slave trade and stuff. I read about concubines, which can explain my family's percentage of Spanish Portuguese and Spanish from Spain. However, the Drumgole family's DNA goes to another ancestral direction. It is from the Indigenous natives to Brazil and Mexico. I came across a race called Amerindians. They are an Indigenous of both South and North America. My DNA is only of Portuguese and Spanish background through the Arab influence.

I came across a chief named Doublehead and below that I found a tribe called Powhatan. It strangely said the descendants of Pocahontas. If this was true, the Drumgole family never told me this.

We both have ancestry from Africa, but from different regions and slightly different traits. It was confirmed that the Drumgole family also have high percentages of the regions Ancestry and 23andMe told my family we descended from. This wasn't true. The Drumgoles have traits from West Africa, Central and South Africa. The Drumgoles and I both contain traits from Ethiopia, but they are different percentages. While mines is very low and due to the slave trade again, the Drumgoles have a higher percentage from Ethiopia. I also have some traits from Somalia, but the Drumgole family does not. My family have traits from North Africa and the Middle East, mainly the Arabian Peninsula. It says the Drumgole family has 0% Arab percentages. This is a major key in knowing our kinship. Although the 88% may not be too accurate, my family still has a very high percentage from the Arab trait. My African ancestry is only from the Arab and Jewish influence. Also Berber. It also says, the Drumgole family has little to no percentage in the Middle East, India, Caucasus and Central Asia.

This is like the same with me, where I cannot find any traces of Native American percentage. The Drumgole family's Native American percentage is high, with three major tribes. They would be Cherokee, Blackfoot and Powhatan. However, out of all of my searching, I only came across Bashkir, a Turkic race of Russia. I also recently found a trait from Northwestern Russia. No, not Native American, but a Finnio-Ugric race (Vepsian). Speaking of Russia, I have found a great percentage of Russian ancestry in the Drumgole family. However, it is from the Siberian/Nenet Native tribe. This puzzled me, and so I went to compare my own Russian background to see if I had the same DNA. I instead found Caucasus Turkic and Iranic races. They are Chechen, Avar, Tatar, Ahiska, Circassian and an old term called Ruthenian. This includes modern day Ukraine, Russia, Slovak, Poland, Romania and Belarus. Recently, I found a 22% of, well it was labeled under soviet. I wasn't for sure what this meant.  I have also found percentages from Uzbekistan and Turkey. The Drumgole family I discovered has no Turkish traits.

There was some term to refer to those mixed with African, European and Native American ancestry. This term is called Melungeon. It was made popular by a Nashville journalist, a Drumgole. Yes, I have heard the Drumgole surname is of Irish origin. Also that the Drumgole family contains DNA from Irish and Scottish traits. It is more like a mix of Irish and Scottish. The other important trait, I learned my family's European percentages comes from different countries. This means, I found no percentages of Irish and Scottish. Maybe a very low percentage of Irish. It is not enough for a match of the Drumgole's DNA. I discovered traces mainly from the Arab, Circassian and Turkish migrations and influences of Europe, Indonesia, China, Thailand and Philippines for my DNA.

Now the Jewish trait can be the most tricky and confusing. I have heard my step-grandma claim her family has Jewish traits. For years, I wasn't sure how true that was. Recently, I read a document mentioning of Portuguese Jews. Yes the same Jewish people found in my family's DNA. However, recently I discovered the Cohen or Cohanim Jews. While most of my family's DNA ancestry claims to be descendants from the Sharif or Sharifah family (who claims to be descendants of Muhammad, but also the exact descendant from Ishmael), the Jewish trait claims descendants of the biblical Aaron's sons. I am not sure about that, but I do know my mother is from the Hashemites/Hussein royal family. For the Jewish trait again, I have found Ashkenazi and Jews in Libya. This I have not found in the Drumgole family. I have found the Drumgole family's haplogroup, they would be E1b1a and Q1A3A-1. Mines would be L-M267, L-859 and J1 haplogroup. The mtdna would be a J as well. Although it's not proven yet, it would seem possibly my mother's father contained a L-M127 haplogroup.     

As you can see, there can be slight similarities and slight differences in the DNA. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Upgrade Update (and More)

Due to the long process and work moving, I decided to wait until I move to upgrade my blog. After the move, I will resume with the art proj...